Lime House School was established in 1899 in Wetheral, a small village located 5 miles to the east of Carlisle. In 2012, three Lime House School reports emerged dated 1865. We believe these to be authentic adding another 34 years to the school’s long history.
The school moved to its present location at Hawkesdale near the village of Dalston in 1946 under the Headship of a Mr Lovelock which continued throughout the 1950’s and early 1960’s. The school was a traditional prep school educating pupils to the age of 13.
Mr PJ Ingrams became Headmaster and proprietor in 1965 until his untimely disappearance on a climbing expedition to the Andes in 1974. P J Ingrams was responsible for introducing girls to the school and making it a co-educational establishment with pupils following GCE ‘O’ level and A level courses
After a short period with Mr A Templeton-Turner as Headmaster the school was purchased by the owners of Riverston School, London and Mr M Lewis became Headmaster in 1976. School numbers increased during this period partly due to the closure of some local Independent schools notably Grosvenor House and Overwater School’s in Carlisle.
Three local businessman Mr C Vasey, Mr B Mandale and Mr W Brotherton, all with children attending the school, purchased the school in the mid 1980’s and school numbers continued to grow. Extra boarding houses were created in the local area, in particular at Greensyke Farm where the Junior School moved to and the girls became housed at ‘The Oakes’ in Dalston.
Three members of Staff were involved in the purchase of the school in 1998.The present Headteacher, Mr N A Rice MA who has held this position since 1985, is a member of the Independent School’s Association. The school is owned by Mr Rice and Mrs Rice who is the Senior Mistress and the School Bursar, Mrs J Fisher.